Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Will the kids cooperate?

As a mother of three small children, I know the feelings of anxiety that can at times overwhelm me when even just considering a bathroom break.  The balancing act:  okay if I can get the boys at the table eating their oatmeal and stick the baby in the crib with a toy, maybe I can just pop my head in the shower to wash my hair before all mayhem breaks loose.  Believe me there are many more details to consider before actually making this decision: Will their oatmeal be too hot today leading them to open the fridge in an attempt to get out the gallon of milk?!  Will the baby kick her socks off and get cold and start crying, and lead to boys climbing into her crib "to play with her"???  The concerns and possibilities of disaster are endless!  And this is why I mostly shower at night.


Let's face it, kids are unpredictable.  I've had trips to Target go off without a hitch, and then there was the time I chased my 1.5 year old around the entire store (I am not joking).  I probably would have caught up to him faster if I wasn't trying to pretend that I wasn't chasing my child AROUND THE ENTIRE STORE!  Not to mention, the elevator incident this past summer...I shall say no more.


But let's get to the point.  If you are thinking about having a photo session, but are nervous that the kids won't behave, that they will be cranky, that they won't listen, etc.  I am here to tell you to STOP worrying.  A good professional photographer of children knows and understands the nature of children.  In fact, they mostly likely enjoy and appreciate the unpredictability of each and every child.  Most of my favorite photographs I have taken of children are when they are just "doing their thing" and just being in their environment.  Your kids do not have to pose for the camera for you to have a long lasting beautiful memory captured.


Do not stress.  If the photographer arrives and little Billy is just finishing his nap, why not capture him sweetly sleeping?  Why not have a photographer come for some fun and beautiful bath-time pictures of your little one?  Or just to catch the kids at their favorite local park or in their sandbox they love so much?  It doesn't have to be formal and it doesn't have to be stressful.  It's supposed to be REAL and it's supposed to be REMEMBERED!


Just make sure it's a photographer who you know has experience with little ones and whose style of photography you love and all should be well!

But I have to say, who doesn't love a good crying pic?!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Comment saved and awaiting moderation.